Massage Therapists are passionate about their careers.
However, this passion is a bit of a double edged sword.
On the one hand, it is wonderful for building a strong business. It makes us excited about our careers, and that excitement often spills over into our client relationships. All good for booking clients and feeling good about our work.
However, that passion can also lead to burnout. We don’t set boundaries around work, and we blur the lines between work and the rest of our lives. Some of us even spend so much time on work we don’t really see the need for a life outside of it.
Or, we get so excited about building a career that we love and that actually earns us an income, that we get obsessed with growing bigger and bigger.
So for this podcast episode, we are talking about setting boundaries and avoiding burnout.
Really one of the key steps on staying in this profession for the long haul is making sure you don’t let your business take over your entire life, so that is what we are focusing on today.
In this episode we are discussing:
- Using your Enough number (see last week’s episode!) to set goals
- How growth for the sake of growth isn’t worth your time (and will only lead to burnout)
- Setting boundaries as a business owner (to avoid, you guessed it, burnout)
- How you should think of yourself as more than just your job title
- The importance of working to live (having your career support your life, not run it!)
This is the second episode in my short series on How to Stay a Massage Therapist for the Long Haul. Ready to dive in? Just hit play! Or, search for Life Beyond The Massage Table on your fave podcast app. More episodes can be found right over here.
Resources for this episode:
- The Concept of Enough (from Wandering Aimfully)
- Fitness Flipped (Podcast from Peloton – episode on Rest)
Looking for help with your business? Hoping to book more clients or take your business online? I can help you! Sign up for my monthly newsletter with actionable advice on growing your health or wellness business. I’ll also send you a free guide on the one thing your website needs to attract new clients!